Sunday, August 19, 2012

Scenes from the Yard

Yesterday was a rainy day, but I got some nice shots of the yard in between drops. I will take you on a whirl-wind tour and introduce you to some of the fair and fowl (mostly fowl):

Here our proud yet suspicious rooster Percy eyes my camera while the hens run amok by the compost pile. Percy's crow is high-pitched, and it sounds a lot like the "ooo OOO" from Ludacris' hit "Saturday," so there has been some talk about renaming the rooster Luda. Two of our hens are already nick-named Nate Dogg and Warren G, and I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with where it's all heading.

Our three Swedish Blue ducks: Napoleon, Agnes, and Dewea. They joined us just a few weeks ago, and they're already the crankiest, biggest nags in our yard. But weren't they cute the first time in the bath!


Our sunflowers are looking a bit like the Eyes of Sauron. At the farmer's market, I bought a beautiful bean I had never tried before called the October Bean. It has cute purple speckles all over, although the coloring diminishes when you cook them down. I thought about planting them in the yard to see if a stalk would grow, but I bought them from a nice young man, not a witch. And nice young men just don't play tricks like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment